Landmark launches, top level speeches and key elections at EMSP’s 25th Anniversary Spring Conference and AGM10.05.2014
The European Multiple Sclerosis Platform (EMSP) held its Annual Spring Conference on 8-9 May, in Dublin, Ireland. Close to 200 participants attended to mark a special occasion: EMSP’s 25th anniversary.
Together with event partners Multiple Sclerosis Ireland (MS Ireland) and Rehabilitation in Multiple Sclerosis (RiMS), EMSP offered those present at the Conference a dynamic mix of presentations, workshops, debates and entertainment.
In the subsequent Annual General Meeting, on 10 May, EMSP elected a new President, Vice President, Young People’s Representative and Executive Committee.
Day 1 of the Conference was endorsed by RIMS and focused on rehabilitation, while Day 2 was organised with the support of MS Ireland and centered on therapies and recent developments in the field of MS. Among the highlights of the two days:
– Launch of Defeating MS Together, a comprehensively updated version of EMSP’s European Code of Good Practice
– Launch of EMSP’s new Believe and Achieve project
– Launch of the Irish country video included in the Under Pressure project
– Special video message from European Health Commissioner Tonio Borg
– Presentations and addresses from Irish Minister of State for Health, Justice, Equality and Defence, Kathleen Lynch, and European Medicines Agency Head of Department for Patients and Healthcare Professionals, Isabelle Moulon
– A ‘well-being market place’ coordinated by Prof Peter Flachenecker and introducing a brilliantly energising sit-Zumba session from physiotherapist Paul van Asch.
The enthusiastic participation of all delegates was rewarded by a memorable evening of dance and music from traditional bandThe Irish House Party and London-based vocal jazz group Take Twenty.
EMSP’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) also had a busy agenda and important decisions to take:
– The successful conclusion of John Golding’s mandate as EMSP President
– The election of a new president in the person of Anne Winslow (pictured above), former EMSP Vice-President.
– The election of a new Vice-President – Antonella Moretti, representing the Italian MS Society (AISM)
– Te re-election of the Treasurer – Torben Damsgaard of the Danish MS Society
– The election of a new Young People’s Representative – MS advocate Shana Pezaro
– The election of a new Executive Committee: Olivier Heinzlef (MS Society of France), Ed Holloway (UK MS Society), Christoph Lotter (Swiss MS Society), Maija Pontaga (MS Society of Latvia) and Constantinos Michalakis (Greek MS Society)